- 7 years professional experience in UX
- Portfolio demonstrating user-centered design process, innovation and creativity
- Experience and appetite for leading envisioning process of user experience
- Strong design communication skills via low to high fidelity mockups using Balsamiq, Photoshop, Illustrator
- Highly skilled in building complex, interactive prototypes using Flash, Flash Builder, and Axure
- Ph.D. degree specialized in Human-Computer Interaction
Design Software: Adobe CS# Photoshop, Illustrator, Edge Animate, Flash, Flash Builder, Balsamiq, Axure
Process Tools: Agile process (scrum), Wiki, Jira, Perforce, storyboarding, usability study, focus group study
Principal User Experience Designer at Autodesk, inc. (November, 2007 - Present)
- Translate marketing requirements to innovative design; lead teams to deliver requirements in collaboration with cross-division teams, while incorporating user research throughout the release cycle.
- Product owner in delivering Direct Manipulation UI for the Manufacturing CAD, Autodesk Inventor
- Complete overhaul of user interface by introducing Ribbon toolbar, Marking Menu, and Navigation Tools, all of which resulted in successful user adoption (adoption rate 99%).
- Work with global, multi-disciplinary teams, including cross-division teams, development, and marketing to ensure product requirements are implemented in the way satisfy user needs and compliant to the corporate standards.
- Produce design documents, create interactive mockups, plan and administer usability studies, and apply usability findings to product improvement.
Post-Doctorial Scholar at University of Arizona (June, 2005 - November, 2007)
- Design and implement interactive 3D systems in Immersive Virtual Environment
- Propose and build a new tabletop display incorporated with the immersive visualization.
- Explored Tangible User Interface in 3D visualization systems.
Research Assistant at York University (September, 2000 – May, 2005)
- Research in Human-Computer Interaction
- Design and develop 3D modeling system, called SESAME (Sketch, Extrude, Sculpt and Manipulate Easily).
- Invent and develop new 3D object manipulation scheme
- Develop laser pointers as input device for collaborative large-scale display.
PhD, Computer Science, York University, Toronto, Canada (2000 - 2005)
Thesis: Desktop Conceptual Design Systems
MA, Computer Science, Myongji University, South Korea (1997 - 2000)
Awards and Recognition
Autodesk Employee Recognition (2010)
Annual recognition to an employee, elected based on recommendation of colleagues and project contributions
R.K. Keating Memorial Scholarship (2000)
Scholarship granted to Korean graduate students in Canada, awarded based on recommendation of Canadian Embassy.
Korea Telecom Scholarship (1993)
Scholarship that was given to top college freshmen, covered entire tuition fee for four years in the college.
J.-Y. Oh, H. Hua, Usability of Multi-Scale Interfaces for 3D Workbench Displays. Presence, 2008: 415~440 (citation: 5)
W. Stuerzlinger, L. Zaman, A. Pavlovych, J.-Y. Oh, The Design and Realization of CoViD, A System for Collaborative Virtual 3D Design, Virtual Reality, Special issue on “Collaborative Virtual Environments for Creative People”, 2006, 10(2): 135-147. (citation: 8)
J.-Y. Oh, W. Stuerzlinger, A System for Desktop Conceptual 3D Design, Virtual Reality 2004, 7(3-4): 198-211.
S.-W. Kim, J.-Y. Oh, S. Tanahashi, and Y. Aoki, Preliminary Study on a Sign-Language Chatting System between Korea and Japan for Avatar Communication on the Internet, IEICE Transactions on Fundamentals of Electronics, and Communications and Computer Sciences vol. E83-A, No. 2, 2000.
J.-Y. Oh, H. Hua, User Evaluations on Form Factors of Tangible Magic Lenses, ACM International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality, Oct. 2006: 23-32.
J.-Y. Oh, W. Stuerzlinger, J. Danahy, SESAME: Towards Better 3D Conceptual Design Systems, ACM Conference on Designing Interactive Systems, June 2006: 80-89. (citation: 17)
J.-Y. Oh, W. Stuerzlinger, D. Dadgari, Group Selection Techniques for Efficient 3D Modeling, IEEE Symposium on 3D User Interfaces 2006, March 2006: 95-102.
J.-Y. Oh, W. Stuerzlinger, J. Danahy, Comparing SESAME and Sketching for Conceptual 3D Design, Eurographics Workshop on Sketch Based Interfaces and Modeling, Aug. 2005: 81-88.
J.-Y. Oh, W. Stuerzlinger, Moving Objects with 2D Input Devices in CAD Systems and Desktop Virtual Environments, Graphics Interface 2005: 195-202. (citation: 33)
J.-Y. Oh, W. Stuerzlinger, Intelligent Manipulation Techniques for Conceptual 3D Design, IFIP Interact 2003, Sept. 2003: 319-326. (citation:8)
J.-Y. Oh, W. Stuerzlinger, Laser Pointers as Collaborative Pointing Devices, Graphics Interface 2002, May 2002: 141-149. (citation: 111)
J.-Y. Oh, S.-W. Kim, S. Tanahashi and Y. Aoki, A Sign Language Chatting System for Non-Verbal Communication between Different Languages, ITC-CSCC'98, Korea, 1998: 693-696.
J.-Y. Oh, A. Uggirala, Data-Driven Design Process in Adoption of Marking Menus for Large Scale Software. ACM CHI 2013 Case Study, Accepted.
W. Stuerzlinger, D. Dadgari, J.-Y. Oh, Reality-Based Object Movement Techniques for 3D, CHI 2006 Workshop: “What is the Next Generation of Human-Computer Interaction?” April 2006.
J.-Y. Oh, Grouping Techniques for 3D Conceptual Design, ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology (UIST) 2004 Doctoral Symposium.
J.-Y. Oh, W. Stuerzlinger, SESAME: A 3D Conceptual Design System, ACM International Conference on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques (SIGGRAPH) 2004 Poster.